Wednesday, April 8, 2015

THIRD DAY OF FASING

I woke up fresh after only five hours’ sleep. I went to sleep hungry but for some reason I rose satisfied. I guess the food was so present in my dreams it fulfilled my psychological hunger.

After habitually putting on my dressing gown and slippers I walked to the waiting hall to see the nurse. There were ten German grandfathers in the queue before me, waiting the nurses’ measurements. As a routine, they take your blood pressure and weigh you every morning. Moreover there is discussing about sensations and following the progress of the fast and the patient’s condition.

Two kilos had gone, yoo-hoo! The fast has started off well. It must be mostly liquid that has burned but the figure brought a good feeling anyway.

Filled with energy, I left for the Puente Romano beach with the familiar bus ride. I told the travel hostess I would come back by taxi or foot. I wanted to take a long walk.

I walked back to the clinic. The sun was burning hot. I drank the morning tea in my room and went to the pool to sunbathe and read my book. I hadn’t eaten anything yet the whole day. Only drunk about three liters of water and the tea.



One of the clients asked me whether I knew Riikka that had been as a gym instructor at the clinic. I responded negatively. This elderly gentleman smiled and said: "you’re as beautiful as Riikka". After a while another man came to me and asked what on earth I was doing at the clinic, since I already had a perfect body. I thanked, feeling slightly awkward and he answered: "It’s all MY pleasure", and asked me to move closer to the gym window so that he would have a nice view while pedaling the bike. My oh my, I thought. Either the sun had melted the customers’ heads at the clinic, or this detox is starting to show results and I am glowing new vitality.  

Before lunch I was a bit hungry to be honest. I fetched a cup of beautiful vegetable soup and for dessert some berry juice that had a half strawberry, a blueberry and a raspberry on top of it. They gave me an inch of chives on top of the soup and I chose oregano out of all the herbs. The food tasted heavenly for someone so hungry. The liquid food at the clinic is surprisingly tasty.

To maintain the liver working also during the fast, they brought me a hot water bottle on my belly for 20 minutes. I rested in my room in the heat of the bottle and read a book. I had to eat vitamin tablets twice a day in order to get all the necessary vitamins and minerals during the fast as well.

The clinic gym has good equipment and personal trainer services available. The sauna is warm from the morning till the evening. The life at the clinic is really relaxing. You might go to the gym and classes several times per day.



While I was in the gym my room had been tided up so it was in an impeccable shape. The cleaners came to my room several times in a day but only when I wasn’t in my room. There were always different waters in glass bottles available in the room and in other parts of the clinic to drink freely. A very efficient and good service. The dressing gown and the slippers had been changed too. The afternoon tea was waiting in my room. Kind of carefree the life here.

 

The days run at the clinic in such a pleasant atmosphere you don’t even remember you are fasting. You have day in and day out gym classes, courses, excursions, painting, yoga, spa area and the lovely sun. The people are nice and sociable; there’s always someone to talk to if you want. It is also totally ok to spend time with your own thoughts and have lunch and dinner in your room.



The evenings are lamentably heavy for me. I always wait for them with horror. Doing nothing and a slight hunger are a terrible combination. I was dreaming even of a piece of celery! In real life I hated the taste of celery more than anything.  



I am really, truly desperate. There is a kettle and tea bags in my room. I found a few 2 gram bags of stevia-sweetener among the tea bags. I am very aware that stevia is a calorie-free sweetener but I was hoping to trick my taste nerves by powdering the contents of the stevia bags on my tongue. Didn’t help. I chewed the stevia crystals and laughed at myself. I had hit the bottom. I brushed my teeth and - finally - fell asleep at some point.