Monday, April 6, 2015

FIRST DAY OF FASTING



I was woken up by a phone call. A friendly voice in the other end wished me good morning and reminded me that my meeting with the nurse was in fifteen minutes. The night before the receptionist had given me a jug in which I had to give a urine sample. I did the necessary procedures, put on my underwear, a soft dressing gown and white slippers and paced to the nurse’s consulting room.  



They gave me a long questionnaire that inquired my motivation for the fast and, deducing from the questions, they wanted to make sure that I didn’t suffer from any eating disorder. The doctor was really nice and expert. The nurse listened and advised me in everything essential.

When I returned to my room there was tea, a natural yoghurt and different waters waiting for me. Today I also got to go to the downstairs restaurant to eat some fruit salad. Downstairs they guided me to a table where two men and a woman were sitting. They were already on the finishing line of their fast. Hilarious people.

I felt terribly guilty when I got a delicious fruit salad and they only had a watery broth. My table company insisted on that they didn’t even want to eat food. They could have eaten upstairs with the other fasters but they were delivered the fast soup downstairs on request. It was hard to believe that they didn’t feel like eating. The green, watery broth was so filling that it was enough, they said.



I took a tour around the clinic. A lovely yard, library, gym, spa with saunas, hair dresser, beauty salon, massage, yoga, different gym classes etc. were offered to the clinic residents.

I went for a swim in the heated outside pool, read a book, sunbathed, took a little walk in the garden and enjoyed myself in different saunas of the spa area. I also planned a fast activity program. They recommend doing lots of exercise in different forms during the fast although they only give you 200 kcal of nourishment.

It wasn’t hard to catch sleep at night because I had eaten a tasty but light vegetarian meal at 8 pm. I had a headache, though. The doctor believed it to originate from coffee which I had clearly gotten addicted to. I wanted to fight against the headache by not accepting the caffeine tablets they offered me in the evening as a relief.

Thus the first fasting day was preparation for the fast. The actual fast begins tomorrow.