Saturday, April 11, 2015

SIXTH DAY OF FASTING

I woke up at 6:00 this morning totally rested and awake. It was dark outside. I was wondering the scarcity of my sleep out loud to the nurse while she was weighing me. 500grams had been lost. Nice.

I got to hear that that the sleeping problems are normal when fasting. During the fast a person only needs 4-5 hours of sleep, but the sleep is very deep and many people have lots of different dreams.

During the fast all our senses sharpen. Like my sense of smell. It is especially observable at the gym; the sweat smells really strong. Your own breath starts smelling during the fast, the nurse said. Horrible, when you don’t even notice it yourself.



It was terrific to learn Latin dances with a top Spanish teacher. We were more or less the same height. It was nice to dance, but a bit awkward to breathe face to face with the teacher knowing your breath may smell. Although, I think we were quite equal: my breath might have smelled like a garbage can, but his smelled slightly like cigarettes.



Today I met a woman who has fasted in the Buchinger annually during 20 years. With tears in her eyes she revealed that finding this clinic had saved her life.

Twenty years ago the woman was remarkably overweight and stressed. She was only 40 years old back then and suffered from bad joint pains and swelling. She was on continuous cortisone medication.

She came to the clinic for three weeks two decades ago. The joint pains disappeared and she hasn’t needed the medicines since. At the clinic she learned how to eat right. She saves money every year so she can come to fast at the Buchinger Wilhelmi.

According to her, the fast consists of three stages: in the first the body uses up its glucose reserves. When they are finished the body starts producing glucose from protein. In the second phase the body exploits fat to save proteins. The duration of this phase depends on how much fat there is to use. Once the body has used approximately 80 per cent of its fat reserves it no longer stores proteins. A person that is 1’70 meters tall and weighs 70 kilos has around 15 kilos of fat storage that can keep a healthy person alive for 40 days. I have no need to worry yet; it’s only the sixth day of fasting and there is still enough fat to burn.  

Everybody gets as a gift from the clinic a thick book in which they explain the Buchinger fast from A to Z and give recipes to take home. I will read the book shortly and will correct here if what the lady told about the fast does not match up with the book.

I have been sweating like a pig today, doing exercise almost the whole day among different sports. I even participated in aqua gym although I usually don’t do it. The pool is heated, so it was quite nice to do gym in there. The teachers are motivating and nice.



Today I have been super sociable. I’ve talked with many fellow fasters. Most of them have come here annually for over ten years. The big size fasters said they have lost 10-15 kg during a week of fasting. The weight has stayed in control if the diet has gotten lighter than before the fast.

It has been really nice to be without telephone, internet and TV. You can stroll around the big plot of the clinic in morning gown if you wish. You can just throw on your dressing gown and amble to enjoy the steam sauna. You can do diverse exercise and chill out. Tomorrow I will go to the art class, although I’m not artistic at all. I just want to try everything since all that is included in the treatment package and you don’t have to pay extra for it.



The fast starts feeling quite bearable already. You somehow get used to this. Below the food and drinks I ingest during a normal day here at the fasting clinic. I couldn’t eat like this at home. There are too many temptations and stress factors, so I would find myself exploring the fridge by evening –at the latest.




THIS MUCH I EAT HERE PER DAY

7:00 – 9:00 am. I drink a liter of water and take the vitamins

 10:00 am. Hot water, a couple of tea bags, a slice of lemon and a drop of honey  

A liter of water (approximately)

1:00 pm. Lunch 100 kcal of vegetable soup without salt and a fruit drink 

A liter of water (approximately) and the vitamins 

5:00 pm Hot water, a couple of tea bags, a slice of lemon and a drop of honey  

8:00 pm. Dinner 100 kcal of vegetable soup

Water and in case of emergency a bowl of soy yoghurt at 10:00 pm